How to apply

Admission procedures

To achieve your project of studying in Canada—more specifically, in one of our Montreal CEGEPs—simply follow the steps described below. We are always available to help if you have any questions or if you encounter any problems along the way.

The first step is to choose your study program from among our list of technical and pre-university programs. On each program description page, you will see which colleges offer the chosen program. Select the college that interests you, then click on the admission link to begin your application for admission on the SRAM website.

Discover our technical programs or Discover our pre-university programs

Your application for admission must be made through SRAMSRAM (Service régional d’admission du Montréal métropolitain). This organization handles all admission applications for the colleges that make up the MCHET (Montreal Campus of higher Education technology). Once your application has been reviewed, and if you meet the requirements, you will receive a letter of admission from the college offering your chosen program. You will need this letter for the next steps.

To come and study in Montreal, you must first obtain authorization from the province of Quebec. After receiving your letter of admission from your chosen college, you will need to apply for a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies, which is issued by the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI – the department of immigration, framcization and integration).

You can complete your CAQ application online. Doing so allows you to track the progress of your request from your online profile.

To apply online, you must have:
– An email address
– A credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Amex) to pay for the application fees (CAD $116)

Obtain a Quebec Acceptance Certificate

There is a second immigration document that you will need to obtain. After receiving your CAQ, you must apply for a Student Permit, which you can do online. This application will be forwarded to a visa office that processes all applications from your country of citizenship or the country into which you have been lawfully admitted.

If your program includes a workplace internship, it will be mentioned in your letter of admission. You must take this into account when applying for your work permit as a student trainee or participant in a cooperative program.

You may need to take a medical exam to obtain your Study Permit. You will be informed of such a need when your application is under review.


All international students must hold a valid Canadian health and hospitalization insurance plan for themselves and their accompanying dependents, or they must be covered under a valid reciprocal social security agreement.

Citizens of the countries listed below benefit from a reciprocal social security agreement made with Quebec and, as such, may be covered by the Quebec health insurance board (Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec – RAMQ) in the same way as Canadians or permanent residents of Canada. The countries are: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Romania and Sweden. For more information, please consult the reciprocal agreement.

All other international students must hold a health and hospitalization insurance plan. The college you will be attending will provide you with information on how to obtain this insurance and the related fees.


Your letter of admission will explain how to complete this final step.

Discover Montreal

Recognized for its quality of education, Canada has a well-established reputation as a tolerant, non-discriminatory and safe country. Montreal, predominantly French but multilingual, is Canada’s second largest city and ranked the best city in North America for international students.